Work Placements and Traineeships
APAC’s Institutional Members may offer voluntary work placements and/or paid traineeships. This page lists current opportunities.
Voluntary Work Placements
National Theatre Archive, London
The NT Archive operates a rolling scheme offering voluntary, unpaid work experience placements. We like to offer work experience candidates a variety of work so that they gain an understanding of archives, the archive profession and the operations of the National Theatre.
- Work experience placements are expected to be able to work well both independently and as part of the Archive team. Candidates are either set an individual task so that they can have a sense of ownership and fulfilment in completing a task, or they are involved in ongoing projects within the department. Tasks may include but not be limited to listing, cataloguing using our archival software system CALM, conducting research, de-accessioning, and repackaging.
- Duration of placement: either 2 weeks full time or a couple of days a week for several weeks
- Location: NT Archive, NT Studio, 83-101 The Cut, SE1 8LL (note: not main NT site)
- Reimbursement: £5 for lunch and £5 for travel each day in return for receipts
- Contact: Erin Lee, Archivist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rambert Archive, London
Rambert is Britain’s oldest dance company and is the national company for contemporary dance. The Rambert Archive documents the development of British dance at home and abroad. The Rambert Archive welcomes volunteers who would like to support the work of the archive.
- Volunteers benefit from learning a range of archive skills as fits their individual interest and are able to get involved behind the scenes of this touring dance company.
- Tasks include scanning, sorting, listing and repackaging archive material. Working with born digital collections is another option.
- Duration of placement: At the volunteer’s discretion subject to the needs of the archive.
- Location: Rambert, 99 Upper Ground, London, SE1 9PP
- Reimbursement: Travel expenses within London can be reimbursed on production of receipts. If a full day of volunteering is carried out, volunteers may also claim lunch expenses.
- Contact: Arike Oke, Rambert Archivist, email@example.com
Shakespeare’s Globe, London
The Library and Archive at Shakespeare’s Globe are offering two work placements on a 2-day per week basis, as follows.
- Library & Archive Voluntary Work Placement (1 post): This intern will work on projects covering a range of performance, historical, or administrative collections, giving the appointed candidates experience in processing library and archive material. Through reading-room supervision, Volunteer Work Placements will also gain valuable customer service and administrative experience.
- Digital Archive Voluntary Work Placement (1 post): This intern will assist with the ongoing video and audio digitisation projects, gaining valuable experience in developing a digital archive.
- Location: Shakespeare’s Globe Education, 21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London SE1 9DT
- Reimbursement: Travel expenses up to Zone 5 each day and payment of lunch up to £5.00 per day, both on provision of proof of purchase
- Contact: Shauna Barrett, Globe Librarian; Mathilde Blum, Archives Recordings Coordinator; Victoria Lane, Globe Archivist: firstname.lastname@example.org
National Theatre Archive, London
The NT Archive offers one paid traineeship, the Archive Assistant role, annually in September. This post is for a trainee who intends to pursue a career in archives administration or records management.